Assistant Executive Director, The Virgin Island Professional Charter Association
LOCATION: St. Thomas, USVI | POSITION TYPE: Salary | EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full | POSTED: 12/15/2022
The Virgin Island Professional Charter Association (VIPCA) is the territory’s 501(c)(6) non-profit marine association, whose purpose is to preserve, protect and promote the charter yacht sector of the U.S. Virgin Islands marine industry and the businesses that sustain them.
VIPCA’s mission is multi-faceted and includes offering membership benefits such as access to health and hull P&I insurance; sharing pertinent and timely industry updates and information; producing a Marine Directory of marine vendors and services; promoting USVI marine charter tourism; liaising with USVI, BVI and PR to assist in cooperative efforts; seeking relevant official rulings from Customs and Border Protection (CBP); developing USVI marine infrastructure, including moorings; providing compliance guidance for mariners and vessels; and providing marine vocational training for USVI youth under VIPCA’s charity, the Marine Rebuild Fund.
VIPCA’s headquarters is located in the four-time award winning “Superyacht Marina of the Year”, Yacht Haven Grande Marina, in St. Thomas, USVI. The Assistant Executive Director is a dynamic job requiring flexibility and a self-starter attitude. As Assistant Executive Director you will be involved with the members of the organization directly, assist with the coordination of yacht shows and member events which will require you to be personable and organized, and you will oversee the maintenance of VIPCA moorings throughout the Territory.
The Assistant Executive Director will:
- Work with the Executive Director to coordinate and supervise daily operations
- Oversee the management of the Mooring project (including creation and oversight of a mooring project maintenance and repair schedule)
- Maintain scheduling of events, meetings, and the annual calendar
- Represent the organization when needed at government meetings and other events
- Fulfill duties as assigned by the Executive Director or the Board of Directors
- Collaborate closely with Executive Director to ensure organization events run smoothly, while daily operations are maintained
- Assist in developing and implementing plans and goals for the organization, as directed by the Board of Directors
- Act as a proxy for the Executive Director as needed in his or her absence
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to sustain, promote, and grow programs and services
- Create a variety of reports and submit them to the Executive Director and/or Board of Directors
- Draft and maintain organizational proposals and communication, ensuring compliance with applicable local, state, and federal laws
Knowledge | Skills | Abilities
Although not required, knowledge of the following would be helpful:
- The mission, leadership needs, and planning requirements of VIPCA
- The marine industry and sectors within that VIPCA represents
- The term-charter industry, day charters, and yachting
- Accurate and appropriate information helping members’ charter vessels operate within national, local and harbor regulations
- Experience in Operations Management
- Outstanding communication and public speaking skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and delegate tasks
- Ability to create and present ideas and budgets in a variety of formats
- Ability to maintain confidential records
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, Asana and related software
- To maintain good working relations with Executive Director, Board of Director members, and the members of VIPCA
- To be personable and represent VIPCA in a positive manner among the community
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Able to lift at least 15 pounds at one time
- Candidates with marine experience, especially those who have experience working in the charter industry and/or hold captain licenses will be given priority
- Experience as an Assistant Director or an Administrative Assistant a bonus, but not required.
- Work with nonprofits, government agencies, and/or board of director experience is preferred
- Graphic design and social media skills
Commensurate with qualifications and experience based around full-time exempt salaried (W-2) management position $46,000/year. While normal office hours will be 9 am to 5 pm, there may be times during the year when work will be required on weekends or in the evenings.
- Probationary period: four (4) months
- Health insurance with $3,000 deductible: paid by employer after 4 month probation period.
- Personal Leave days: 21 days (includes vacation, sick leave and personal leave)
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to BOARD@VIPCA.ORG with “Assistant Executive Director” in the subject line. Resumes (including references) should be submitted no later than January 15, 2023.